Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: How to point the domain name to mail server and web server on VPS

lewisc is offline Junior Member

Default How to point the domain name to mail server and web server on VPS

Hi,
    I have a VPS hosting account with you (Web Hosting UK) and i have transferred a domain name to you. What are the steps i need to carry out, to configure the domain name so that it points to my web server and mail server on my vps?

Thanks.

Administrator is offline Administrator

Hi Cian,

I have pointed your domain name to ns2079.ukserverhosting.net and ns2078.ukserverhosting.net. These 2 nameservers are registered nameservers of your VPS.

Please add a DNS zone for these nameservers on your VPS and point your domains to these nameservers.
    Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
    AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
    Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Hi,
    Thanks for the info, but i'm finding the configuration of bind (so that my domain points to web server and mail server) quite confusing. Would you recommend adding a control panel to my vps? And if so which one (cpanel/whm or plesk) would you recommend? I'm fairly good at configuring and installing all the other software (web servers, mail servers etc) by just using commands and scripts in SSH, so i would only need the control panel to configure the dns for my new domain (s).

Thanks.

Dan
    Dan is offline Got root?

I would definitely recommend cPanel as your control panel with Linux VPS
    Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
    Support: 0800-612-8725
    International: +44 191 303 8191

Quote Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info, but i'm finding the configuration of bind (so that my domain points to web server and mail server) quite confusing. Would you recommend adding a control panel to my vps? And if so which one (cpanel/whm or plesk) would you recommend? I'm fairly good at configuring and installing all the other software (web servers, mail servers etc) by just using commands and scripts in SSH, so i would only need the control panel to configure the dns for my new domain (s).

Thanks.
    Hi Lewis !

No need to consider cpanel and spoil yourself. You can ask one of our support staff members to help you with configuration of bind and adding your first DNS zone. cPanel makes life easy, but you will loose your touch of Linux.

Hi,
    Yeah i just contacted the support team and they said they are unable to help me create a dns zone, due to the fact i don't have a control panel.

Any ideas about how i proceed now? I am not sure if i need to modify the resolv.conf file to point back to 127.0.0.1? I also have a file called 'named.caching-nameserver.conf', but do i also need a 'named.conf' file aswell? etc etc.

Thanks.

Hi,
    Yeah i just contacted the support team and they said they are unable to help me create a dns zone, due to the fact i don't have a control panel.

Any ideas about how i proceed now? I am not sure if i need to modify the resolv.conf file to point back to 127.0.0.1? I also have a file called 'named.caching-nameserver.conf', but do i also need a 'named.conf' file aswell? etc etc.

Thanks.
    Hi Lewis,

Please let me know who was on livechat who said so. All our VPS plans are fully managed and it makes no difference if you take control panel or not.

If possible, please open a ticket and let me know the ticket ID. I will ask one of our senior members from VPS dept. to answer your ticket.

You will need to put Resolver IPs in resolv.conf and named.conf is required to make bind work on your server.

Hi,
    Thanks. It was actually a ticket i sent in the first place (not live chat) which has now been closed. The ticket number was JKV-32045-292.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
    Thanks. It was actually a ticket i sent in the first place (not live chat) which has now been closed. The ticket number was JKV-32045-292.

Thanks a lot.
    Hi Lewis,

I have asked one of our senior support staff member to take care of your ticket. Control panel's have spoiled some of our staff members as well and that is why you got such irritating response from our staff.

Please accept my apologies. Our QA department has been notified and they will talk to respective members of VPS team to avoid same problem in future.

Hi,
    Just wanted to say thanks for your help in getting my dns zones setup. It's all working as expected now.

Thanks.

Hi,
    Just wanted to say thanks for your help in getting my dns zones setup. It's all working as expected now.

Thanks.
    Glad to hear that

Thread Information