Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: WTH: Samsung Galaxy S ||| (S3) Supposedly Going To Have a 4.8" Screen Size

Ben Stones is offline Administrator

Default WTH: Samsung Galaxy S ||| (S3) Supposedly Going To Have a 4.8" Screen Size

Should this just be a tablet computer?

Well, according to BGR, the new Samsung Galaxy S smartphone will come with a monstrous 4.8" display and will sport a 2GHz quad-core CPU (again, ?) with a most likely 720p resolution and 2GB of RAM. Yes, 2GB, which is basically what many of us may have in our laptops right now.

Not sure who needs a 2GHz quad-core CPU and 2GB of RAM in a smartphone, but then again, it will likely sell well just on the specs alone. It is likely (if these rumours are true), the phone won't be much bigger than a 4.3" or 4.5" phone because there is no horizontal bezel. I think 4" is enough for a smartphone, and this is really pushing the boundaries of what is going too far. But I don't think I should be jumping to conclusions unless I try it myself.

It's definitely likely going to be good competition to the iPhone, with the iPhone 4S currently shipping only carrying a 3.5" diagonal display size.

What do you think?
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Support - 0808 262 0606 or
    support.webhosting.uk.com

Customer Relations - 0808 262 0855 or

Sales - 0800 862 0890 or sales@webhosting.uk.com

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

Rachael is offline Marketing Team

Samsung Galaxy definitely looks good and it is also embedded with smart features but I don’t think it can give a tough competition to iPhone. iPhone 4s and the next version to be launched both are extremely user friendly and they provide with a wide range of features. With features like intelligent call facility, connectivity and other capacity and portability features, people mostly prefer using iPhone.

Pumazooma is offline Senior Member

I think some of these companies are forgetting what these things are used for the most...... making phone calls. That thing will be huge! It'll be too big to fit in a pocket and you'll look an idiot holding it up as a phone.

It doesn't NEED a bigger screen and it probably doesn't need all that RAM either but they can so they do. Sometimes they ought to just sit back and find out what people actually use them for and when.

I've got a 4S but I never think it's tiny for any of the things I use it for. In fact I'm quite glad it's that small!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumazooma View Post
    I think some of these companies are forgetting what these things are used for the most...... making phone calls. That thing will be huge! It'll be too big to fit in a pocket and you'll look an idiot holding it up as a phone.

It doesn't NEED a bigger screen and it probably doesn't need all that RAM either but they can so they do. Sometimes they ought to just sit back and find out what people actually use them for and when.

I've got a 4S but I never think it's tiny for any of the things I use it for. In fact I'm quite glad it's that small!
    I agree. But it's the way these manufacturers compete against smartphones such as the iPhone. To be honest, I'd always choose either an iPhone or a Windows Phone (Nokia Windows Phones definitely look great). I don't think I'll ever get an Android phone firstly because many manufacturers add their own UI layers on top of Android as a replacement for the stock interface to differentiate their phones from the competition, and also the fragmentation issue with Android. I don't like the fact that we have no choice over certain permissions within Android such as location privledges. Last time I used Android if an app wanted to use your location, if you had installed the app you had no choice. On iPhone (and I believe Windows Phone, too), the operating system asks you whether you want an app to have access to the location of your phone.

I do think Samsung copies Apple sometimes; with the user interface as well as the hardware too. People bash others for saying this as "Apple fanboys" but if you look at similarities you can see Samsung is copying Apple on some things. They need to differentiate themselves with great innovative features; not copying others in the industry. Take Windows Phone for example, that's the most original and unique product Microsoft has ever produced of recent days - including the Ribbon user interface, the Kinect controller, Windows 8, etc.
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

WebHostingUK.Ed is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bastones View Post
    I agree. But it's the way these manufacturers compete against smartphones such as the iPhone. To be honest, I'd always choose either an iPhone or a Windows Phone (Nokia Windows Phones definitely look great). I don't think I'll ever get an Android phone firstly because many manufacturers add their own UI layers on top of Android as a replacement for the stock interface to differentiate their phones from the competition.
    Who owns a Android phone and doesn't root it?

As for the phones/OS's:

Apple iPhone= Good UI but poor functionality + overpriced hardware, awesome aftercare, awesome marketplace

Windows Phones= "Marmite" interface, overpriced for hardware, fastest OS, worst marketplace

Android= Cheap hardware compared to competitors, easy to modify OS (not always a good thing), unless you root it prepare for terrible resource munching phone, Market place good except for permission based apps

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostingUK.Ed View Post
    Who owns a Android phone and doesn't root it?
    True . Many people don't anyway. Some are happy with how they have their phone. More experienced users may root their Android phone, though.

As for the phones/OS's:

Apple iPhone= Good UI but poor functionality + overpriced hardware, awesome aftercare, awesome marketplace
    I don't think it is overpriced much, I just think their phones are expensive because of the hardware included and because Apple doesn't really sell cheaper handsets. I have to agree with AppleCare, they've always been great for me (never had an iPhone but I've got a Mac). The marketplace is the best of any smartphone out there, definitely.

Windows Phones= "Marmite" interface, overpriced for hardware, fastest OS, worst marketplace
    I really like Windows Phone. It's got a great user interface; simple and elegant - which is why I can't wait to try out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview tomorrow (and I hope it comes out tomorrow, too!)

The marketplace will definitely improve over time as more developers develop applications for Windows Phone. And Microsoft isn't doing half bad to entice developers to write apps for the platform . But it is true, the Marketplace needs to be adequate. It is the golden area of making a platform successful in the new paradigm of what we perceive a "smartphone".

Android= Cheap hardware compared to competitors, easy to modify OS (not always a good thing), unless you root it prepare for terrible resource munching phone, Market place good except for permission based apps
    Absolutely agree. Cheap hardware, which can tarnish the brand and perception of Android among consumers, but that is the hardware manufacturer's fault. There are some high quality Android smartphones available though. It is easy to root Android though, compared to iOS which is sometimes a "cat and mouse" game. And Android is definitely more open than iOS and Windows Phone, which some consumers may well prefer versus to iOS and Windows Phone.

I absolutely agree with the "app permissions" thing. It's more concerning downloading apps via the Android Market for obvious reasons. I'd always recommend people check the permissions that the apps require, as sometimes it can be questioned as to why certain permissions may be required, based on the intended use of such app.
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

welcome321 is offline new member

Thumbs up samsung galaxy s3

samsung galaxy s3 is a great android phone. i am also using this phone, its awesome

Quote Originally Posted by welcome321 View Post
    samsung galaxy s3 is a great android phone. i am also using this phone, its awesome

Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

DPS Computing is offline Senior Member

It doesn't look like the kind of phone that would fit comfortably in your pocket tbh .

Quote Originally Posted by DPS Computing View Post
    It doesn't look like the kind of phone that would fit comfortably in your pocket tbh .
    You referring to your iPad?
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

Thread Information