Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: Mozilla recommends users disable/uninstall McAfee Plugin

Ben Stones is offline Administrator

Default Mozilla recommends users disable/uninstall McAfee Plugin

Mozilla is advising Firefox users to disable or uninstall the McAfee ScriptScan plugin that causes stability or security problems.

"Users are strongly encouraged to disable the problematic add-on or plugin, but may choose to continue using it if they accept the risks described," the notice states
    "When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article," it explains.
    ScriptScan is a component that comes bundled with McAfee's VirusScan security software. The technology is designed to scan websites for hostile code. Unfortunately ScriptScan does not play well with Firefox. Versions 14.4.0 and below reportedly cause all versions of Firefox, even the latest 7.x release, to crash.
    The problem, however, appears to be restricted to Firefox only. Users are advised by Mozilla to disable the plugin; however, Intel's Security Division (Intel now owns McAfee) are working with Mozilla on rectifying the issue.

Read more: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/05/moz_mcafee_security_plugin_crash_warning/
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Support - 0808 262 0606 or
    support.webhosting.uk.com

Customer Relations - 0808 262 0855 or

Sales - 0800 862 0890 or sales@webhosting.uk.com

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

DPS Computing is offline Senior Member

I agree with Mozillas advise . The advice from DPS Computing would go further though - remove all McAfee software from everything you own. It's a resource hog and not worth the price tag that it currently has!

Ben Stones is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DPS Computing View Post
    I agree with Mozillas advise . The advice from DPS Computing would go further though - remove all McAfee software from everything you own. It's a resource hog and not worth the price tag that it currently has!
    I'd much rather go with Kaspersky or another antivirus software than McAfee to be honest. But now with McAfee owned by Intel, hopefully it'll get better .
    Regards,
    Ben Stones

Need to contact us?

Support - 0808 262 0606 or

Customer Relations - 0808 262 0855 or

Sales - 0800 862 0890 or sales@webhosting.uk.com

Contact
    ben@webhosting.uk.com

DPS Computing is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bastones View Post
    I'd much rather go with Kaspersky or another antivirus software than McAfee to be honest. But now with McAfee owned by Intel, hopefully it'll get better .
    Here's to hoping but I wouldn't hold my breath. It has always been a bit of a resource hog, but not as bad as Norton .

Thread Information