Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: Bandwidth Estimate Calculator

WebHostingUK.Ed is offline Administrator

Default Bandwidth Estimate Calculator

**Important** - this is only a rough concept

Often I am asked "how much bandwidth do I need?" To clear this up for some to roughly estimate bandwidth for a website I like to use the following calculation:

((Estimated Monthly Page Views X Average Page Size) + Downloads) x Safety Margin = Estimated Monthly Bandwidth

***VERY IMPORTANT NOTE*** all the units must be the same standard, I would suggest KB. At the end remember to change the units into something workable (so either GB or MB) a quick summary of conversion is as follows:

1MB = 1024KB
    1GB = 1024MB

A brief explanation of each item in the calculation is a follows:

Estimated Monthly Page Views - How many pages are opened in a monthly period (total across the entire site).

Average Page Size - exactly as it says is the average page size of viewable pages.

Downloads - This is optional really and only applies if you have downloadable content so you estimate how many downloads and what size they will be on average.

Safety Margin - This is always >1, this is your safety margin so you don't exceed bandwidth. I would always suggest 1.2 (20%) to 1.5 (50%).

Rachael is offline Marketing Team

Thanks for sharing this information. This information is great in terms of estimating bandwidth for a website and thereby selecting the right web hosting plan. I am sure this will be useful to everyone looking for establishing a new website.

Thread Information