Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: WHOIS ID protection. Enabled or Disabled ?

HILL is offline Junior Member

Default WHOIS ID protection. Enabled or Disabled ?

I want to register a domain with my current provider and have WHOIS ID enabled for it, but my current provider does not provide that feature. Can I register the domain somewhere else and have WHOIS ID protection with it and then transfer it to my current provider.

Will the WHOIS ID stay if I transfer the domain back to my current provider ?

Rachael is offline Marketing Team

You will have to purchase the WHOIS ID again in order to get protection. The WHOIS will not stay if you change your current provider and transfer it back to the current provider.

stan paine is offline Sales Team

Hello Hill,

Let me explain you

If your current registrar does not provide an WHOIS protection, you can transfer the domain name under our registry and get WHOIS protection. However, WHOIS protection needs to be disabled, if you wish to transfer the domain name under the current registrar.

Please feel free to post here if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by stan paine; 15-11-11 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo

MENDOZA is offline new member

If you have a .co.uk domain, you will get free whois id protect I guess ? I know that .com and other tlds needs a charge.

Alice K is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MENDOZA View Post
    If you have a .co.uk domain, you will get free whois id protect I guess ? I know that .com and other tlds needs a charge.
    Yes, you can opt out from having your address published on the WHOIS however it can only be set for domains where the registrant type is "UK Individual".

There are no charges to opt out the WHOIS for .co.uk domains.

Ashley is offline Junior Member

If the .UK domain is used for business, trade ( e.g. pay per click advertising etc) or professional transactions then the client is not entitled to opt out the address.

NOMINET ( Nominet ) reserves the right to disable the opt out of .UK domains which are used for trade.

Only me is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    If the .UK domain is used for business, trade ( e.g. pay per click advertising etc) or professional transactions then the client is not entitled to opt out the address.

NOMINET ( Nominet ) reserves the right to disable the opt out of .UK domains which are used for trade.
    I found this out this weekend,6 years of having an opt out!!!
    How comes it took so long,in the email they sent me it says..
    It has recently been brought to my attention that you do not meet the criteria to use the opt-out service for our WHOIS domain name search facility.
    A registrant can only use the opt-out if they are a consumer, i.e. is a living individual who is not using their domain name in the course of a business, trade or profession.
    My site is a work related message board for the employees of who we work for,ok it has google ads and some web pages but in part it's a personal site,plus i am alive

My name rank and serial number was online for i guess a few days for all to see!

Have i been grassed on or something?

Any ideas anyone.

Google ads on the website generates earning and thus it is considered as a trade/business. NOMINET won't allow opt out for the domains which are involved in trade or business. I think that for the years NOMINET might have forgotten to remove the opt-out option for your domain name.

And now, while auditing, they would have caught your domain name which is opted out though in business and so they would have removed the opt-out option for your domain.

Thanks for that Ashley,just one more thing,what would happen if a i put a fake name & address in.

It's nothing dodgy as such,but like i said,an employee message board.

No issues if you keep a fake name and address detail for your .UK domain name. No cost is involved in order to change the address detail for .UK domain.

But when it comes to change of 'Registrant Name' then you need to approach NOMINET and pay them for change of Owner ( Registrant Name ). Also, make sure that you keep a valid registrant / administrative email address for your .UK domain.

Thanks Ashley.

Thread Information