Start a Chat Sales: 0800 862 0890 Client Area

Thread: cPanel How to Set Up a Default Address?

davedj is offline Senior Member

Default cPanel How to Set Up a Default Address?

I have never bothered to look at the default email address available in cpanel..

Am I correct in understanding that it will receive all emails for my domain name? ofcourse if I enable it?

Matt123 is offline Senior Member

I want to clear the point, the domain will only use the default email address to send emails when a specific email account does not exist for your domain.

WHUK-Sarina is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by davedj View Post
    I have never bothered to look at the default email address available in cpanel..

Am I correct in understanding that it will receive all emails for my domain name? ofcourse if I enable it?
    Yes, you are right. The Default Address will not work unless you have configured it.
    The default email address will "catch" any mail that is sent to an invalid email address for your domain. All mail that is sent to an address that does not exist under the email accounts of the domain will be diverted to the default email address specified.

In order to "Set Default Address You can login to cPanel >> Mail >> Default Address.
    In the "Send all unrouted e-mail for: Select the domain name from the drop down >> Select the option Forward to email address and mention the email address where the emails should be forwarded.
    Thats it. Your unrouted emails will now be delivered to your specified email address.
    WHUK-Sarina
    Linux Support Department

Sanersone is offline Moderator

You can enable it right from the cpanel. Be ready to receive lots of spam emails if you enable the default email address

Quote Originally Posted by Sanersone View Post
    You can enable it right from the cpanel. Be ready to receive lots of spam emails if you enable the default email address
    Really is that so ?

BTW in cpanel I see it is set to

Current Setting: :fail: No Such User Here

does that mean, it is already set ?

I also see Forward to email address will that forward to an external email if I input that in the field?

Sanersone is offline Moderator

Be ready to receive lots of spam emails if you enable the default email address
    Really is that so ?
    Yes the mailbox receives a lot of spam emails. Emails sent at any mis spelled email account for your domain or email account that does not exists will be received at the default email address. It makes it very difficult to sort genuine email from those huge list of spams in that mailbox.

Matt123 is offline Senior Member

BTW in cpanel I see it is set to

Current Setting: :fail: No Such User Here

does that mean, it is already set ?

I also see Forward to email address will that forward to an external email if I input that in the field?
    The current status means the default address isn't receiving any emails for now. Yes, the email you input in that field will be the forwarded email address for the default email account.

Rachel is offline Sales Team

Default email address or Catch all are sometimes used to prevent email sent to misspelled email addresses from being rejected. Make sure you timely delete any spam emails that are received on the default email address. This is a general cause of disk space getting full for a hosting account.

Gracie is offline Member

I cannot see an option to change the password for the default account. how will I login to it ?

WHUK-Sarina is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    I cannot see an option to change the password for the default account. how will I login to it ?
    In order to login to the default email address you can access webmail with normal webmail interface and login with the cPanel username and password. If you want to change the password for the default email address you will need to change the cPanel password. There is no other option available in panel to change the default email address password directly.

WHUK-Sarina
    Linux Support Department

Rachel is offline Sales Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    You can directly login to it via the cPanel as well. The logins will be the one you use to log in to your cpanel.

!!!it has started receiving spam emails... and yes this will eat up the account space if emails are not deleted regularly. So anyone else enabling it be ready to delete the emails regularly.

Priscilla is offline Junior Member

!!!it has started receiving spam emails... and yes this will eat up the account space if emails are not deleted regularly. So anyone else enabling it be ready to delete the emails regularly.
    You can auto delete the spam mail using "SpamAssassin"

Just login to the cPanel:

1.To Enable SpamAssassin : Simply click the Enable SpamAssassin button on the SpamAssassin home screen.

2. "Automatically Delete Spam" This function automatically deletes messages that meet or exceed the score limit.
    But Enabling this feature could cause you to lose email that is not spam if a message meets or exceeds the defined score. Make sure SpamAssassin is configured properly for your account before using this feature. To avoid this you can use Spam Box

3." Enabling the spam box " will create an additional folder, named Spam, where spam mail will be sent. This can be useful in preserving mail that may have mistakenly been filtered by SpamAssassin. It is recommended that you enable this feature.

This feature also comes with a Clear Spam Box function that will delete the messages in spam box. But you need to do this manually.

Thread Information